This page is intended mainly for prospective graduate students. Below you should find most of the information you will need to decide if the Astronomy Department at the University of Virginia is the place for you, as well as information on financial aid and the application process. The graduate application deadline for the Astronomy department is January 15.
Applying for Admission
- Information for prospective graduate applicants
- Frequently Asked Questions about graduate admissions in astronomy
- Contact the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences Admissions Office with an application request
Grad Student Life
- Frequently Asked Questions about typical graduate student life
- Graduate Student Guide from the University of Virginia
- Why some of our current graduate students chose UVa, in their own words.
- A list of departmental faculty and their research areas
- Ph.D. dissertations since 1888
- Master‘s Theses since 1935
- Our local Research pages
- A list of where UVa astronomy grads have gotten jobs
The Graduate School deadline of 3 December is only for consideration for financial aid programs run by the Graduate School. For fullest consideration, all application materials should be received by the Astronomy Department by 15 January.
If you have additional questions or plan to be in the area and would like to visit the Department, don‘t hesitate to contact me. The most efficient method is to use email; my email address for graduate admission information is email@example.com.
Kelsey Johnson and Mark Whittle
Co-Chairs, Graduate Admissions